Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Great John Scalzi Post

I feel it is generally best to avoid discussing religion here, even though I really love doing so, because the subject offends too many people and that isn't my purpose in writing this blog. However, a writer that I really admire wrote a great post on the subject and I would feel remiss if I failed to point it out to those who might have missed it. John Scalzi is a great writer who did one of my favorite sci-fi novels, Old Man's War. He seems to have nearly the exact same set of beliefs as I do, and I was quick to send this link off to my own kids (since I always love discussing such things with them!).

4 comments:

  1. That was an interesting post. Scalzia and by proxy yourself are very pragmatic. It is a very rational way of looking at things and one that comes from knowledge and not ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting link, and one I can relate to. I haven't read anything by Scalzi yet, but I'll have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting. It's pretty much a given that when one does a post on a writing blog relating to religion it will generate fewer comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with avoiding the subject of religion as well, though from the opposite perspective. As a very "religious" person, my Catholic worldview influences everything I believe and the way I think. But I find myself editing that out of my blog posts so as to stay inoffensive. After all, everyone raves about the NICE bloggers, not the controversial ones. But I wonder if this is a good or bad thing. Am I removing too much of myself? It's something to think about.

    ReplyDelete